Friday, August 5, 2011

This one's for the teachers

So yesterday I'm reading some status updates in my newsfeed on Facebook. I see one that says "What's the craziest school supply on your child's list?" So I start to think about my son's list (now mind you this is the first time I've had to buy supplies so it's all weird to me): Play-doh 4 pack, large bottle of hand sanitizer, pencil grip (but please buy this at the office to insure you purchase the correct kind), 4 boxes of crayons, a snack to share with class, a 64oz bottle of juice, clear contact paper, etc... You get the idea of the kinds of things I was buying. I decided to comment and say that I think the craziest thing about my son's list is that even though I have to buy a pencil grip, I do not have to buy pencils. What will be done with said pencil grip? And I'm getting interested to see other funny things people have to buy, or not buy ;)
But instead, when I open the comments to post, I see an array of angry parents who have to buy anything at all. They don't want to help with classroom supplies just their kids. And why do they have to buy supplies to help teachers like post its and dry erase markers (hang in there teachers, I'm getting to why this is for you). There were actually some really hate filled remarks. I tried to post a rather lengthy response, but because it was so long, my phone wouldn't let me. So I tried again, cuz you know if at first you don't succeed, try, try again, right? I think maybe a teacher taught me that at a young age. Regardless, my phone is stubborn and was not letting me post my lengthy response.
Instead I'm dedicating this post to ALL teachers out there, the ones I'm friends with, the ones that teach my son, the ones that I will never meet, the ones who will never feel appreciated, ALL TEACHERS!
So as I'm reading these posts about how schools provide these things, parents shouldn't, I only see one or two posts defending teachers and schools. The truth is, schools don't provide all the items teachers need to insure your child is getting the best education possible. Truth is, we as parents are responsible for making sure our child gets the best education possible, not the teachers and principals and school boards. Yes, for most of us, those people are the ones sacrificing their time and efforts and MONEY to teach our children, but in the long run parents own that as well. So why not buy your son's teacher some post its and dry erase markers, somewhere along the way your child will probably use them as well. Schools have gone to using white boards instead of chalk boards but they don't provide the dry erase markers to write on them after the initial installment. Why should a teacher, who doesn't make much more than minimum wage after you figure all the after hours programs and tutoring and conferences, have to pay for them when they help provide an education for our children? Why is it the teacher's responsibility to provide my child, your child with school supplies? Why is NOT our responsibility as parents to do so?
So you don't want to help out other children? Why not? Their family's financial situation is not THEIR fault. Maybe supply lists do have extra on them so that all children will be provided for during the school year, but why is this a bad thing? What if you or your spouse, if you are so blessed as to have one, loses their job? Wouldn't you be grateful for a little help?
No, I don't think my parents were ever asked to buy chalk when I was in school, but budgets weren't as tight and chalk has never been as costly as dry erase markers. Then the parent might think, well that's not my problem, I didn't choose for the school to switch to dry erase. Nope you didn't but you are choosing to send your child to that school.
Whether you realize it or not, you choose to send your child to a particular school. Now here is where some parents are going to say, NO I have to send them to the school in the district in which we live. Well I disagree. You choose to send your child to that school by not choosing to send them somewhere else. You might say where else would I send them? Well what about private school? But wait, they have school supply lists too and they are typically more expensive overall. So maybe you could think about sending them to...hmmm homeschool? Oh you don't have the time or you don't feel qualified to homeschool or it costs too much money to get all of the supplies? Huh, so maybe paying for a few supplies that go towards a classroom, or a few supplies for the teacher, instead of just for your child isn't such a bad option after all. And maybe instead of complaining about how incompetent your child's teacher is this year, say thank you and be grateful that they are educated and know how to teach your child when you might not. And instead of giving them a coffee mug at the end of the year, give them a gift card to Target, Wal Mart, Office Max or the local teacher's store in town so they can stock up on some of those supplies.
Oh and by the way, all those cute decorations aren't free either, your teacher bought them. So how about next time you are out shopping and you see something that would go with the theme of their room, you pick it up as a thank you gift for one of the most influential people in your child's life. They deserve it, don't cha think?

2 comments:

  1. Dont have a problem helping others and not trying to play devils advocate but there are plenty of people getting help who take advantage of it and plenty of others who need it but cant get any..... See it every day in the healthcare field. But as far as teachers, they deserve all the help they can get for doing an extremely important job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. Schools used to have budgets for things like snacks, paper, post it notes, chalk, erasers, kleenex... but now days the government has cut education budgets so public schools count on parents to contribute things more than ever. And of course private schools have always asked more of their parents.

    The truly sad thing about these parents' complaints is that they are forgetting that anything they contribute is helping KIDS. Kids in their community, not nameless, faceless kids somewhere else, even!

    ReplyDelete