Sunday, December 4, 2011

Sunday nights

It's Sunday night, Nate and I are settled in at a friend's house (I'm house/cat sitting while they enjoy Jamaica) watching Curious George 2.  I thoroughly enjoy this time every Sunday night.  We don't always watch a movie, sometimes we color, play games, what ever we feel like doing, tonight we felt like chillin out and watching a movie.  And I love it.  This is my favorite day of the week, my favorite time of the day, my favorite.
Nate is only going to be little for a couple more years, and who knows how many Sunday evenings I have left with him before he decides he is too cool to hang with mom.  But I'm going to enjoy them while I can. (He is currently sitting to my left, holding my ear while he appears completely engrossed in George. He also looks like he is going to pass out any moment from complete exhaustion, he's been up since 5am!)  So from now on after 5pm is mommy and Nate time on Sunday nights.  It always has been, but I haven't always been good about making sure we take advantage of it.  I would plan things with my friends, he would be at a family member's house or a friends.  But going forward I'm going to do the best I can to make sure we spend Sunday evenings together, as a family.  Life is so busy already, we need to slow down and enjoy it while we can.
For example, this coming week, the only night we are home is Monday night, and that is only because the cable guy is coming to install internet, otherwise we would probably have something scheduled.  Tuesday night is the last night of a class I'm taking at church, Wednesday is my week to serve at youth group, Thursday night we have a play date at Chik Fil A with a boy from school (I will let you know how that goes, I'm a little hesitant on this one), Friday I'm having dinner with a friend and our lead pastor, Saturday I have an Avon event during the day and a Christmas party that night.  Then it's Sunday again and other than church we have nothing planned.  Thank God! 
Why do we do this to ourselves?  Do we think we are going to miss out if we aren't constantly on the go?  I have no idea, but I'm going to start scheduling family time with Nate so we don't miss each other.  Some might think it is sad that I have to schedule time with my son, but I look at it as a non negotiable.  Most work schedules are non negotiable.  For some sports schedules are non negotiable.  Others piano lesson schedules are non negotiable.  Well for me my Nate time is non negotiable.  So if you want to hang, let me just give you a run down of my schedule so you can fit me in ;)
Sunday - Family day
Monday - Work in the evening
Tuesday - Life group
Wednesday - Youth group (4 weeks on 2 weeks off, check with me)
Thursday - Work in the evening
Friday - available
Saturday - available
So you can see life is pretty full in our household, and that's only a brief look at what we have going on, that doesn't include play dates, sports, etc...
I have to run because I want to snuggle with the cutest 4 year old I know.  Enjoy your Sunday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment